20 interesting facts about Hyundai
Nowadays, Hyundai Motor Company is famous all over the world. Vehicles, made by Hyundai gained tremendous popularity thanks to combination of a low price and a high reliability. While Hyundai had to wait for international success longer than other automakers,
The Korean Economic Wonder and a hard-working nature of Koreans helped the company become one of the top automobile manufacturers. Here is the history of this famous brand in 20 facts.
1. The name of the company comes from the word “hyundai”, which means “modernity” in Korean.
2. Hyundai celebrates its birthday on 29th December. The company was founded on December 29, 1967 in Seoul. Currently, the Korean company still occupies its original headquarters. Six month later, the company opened its main production facility with production power of 20 000 vehicles a year.
3. In 1968, Hyundai and Ford Motor Company reached an agreement regarding the production of Ford vehicles in Korea, on the Hyundai assembly factory. According to this agreement, Ford shared its production technology of passenger cars and light trucks.
4. The first original model, produced by the Hyundai Motor Company, was Hyundai Pony. Notably, it was designed by an international team of industrial designers, including Giorgio Giugiaro and his company Italdesign Giugiaro S.p.A. The Korean automaker used automobile technologies from Japan and the United Kingdom in the construction of its flagship model. Hyundai Pony, was presented at the 55th Turin Motor Show in 1974.
5. 1975 was marked by the beginning of the company’s export operations. Multiple Ponies were shipped to Ecuador. In 1976, the Hyundai Pony was exported en masse to the Middle East, South America and Africa.
6. After the success of Pony, the Korean automaker released Hyundai Granada in 1978 and Axel in 1985. Axel became the best-selling model on Canadian market.
7. In January 1986, Hyundai entered the market of the United States. The Korean company established the Hyundai America Technical Center in an American city of Ann Arbor (Michigan), a high-tech division, created to develop new automotive technologies.
8. In autumn 1988, Korean company launched the first generation of a popular sedan Hyundai Sonata. It is considered the first model to be made from scratch by Hyundai. The only part, produced by another company was a Mitsubishi licensed engine.
9. 1989 is a year, when the company gained its independence. The Korean automaker created its very first 1.5 lit engine, called Alpha. Hyundai spent over $ 125 000 000 on its development, which became the record among Korean automakers. Hyundai continued to develop its own engines. Two years later Korean company released new engine under the mane of Beta, than Gamma and Delta.
10. In the early 90’s Hyundai presented its first concept car HCD-I, which became the basis for future successful models. The stunning success of the first concept car made a way for the future concept cars.
11. In 1994, the company launched a new model, the Hyundai Accent. The automaker set the Korean national record producing 1545000 during the first year of production, 394259 of which were sent to export.
12. In 1996, Hyundai introduced a new sports car, the Hyundai Coupe, at the Geneva Motor Show. This model was known as Tiburon (from Spanish “tiburon” – shark) at the United States and Australian market. The car was quite popular due to a low price and a fact it was featured in the popular video game series Need For Speed.
13. In 1998, Hyundai merged with another Korean automobile company Kia Motors.
Two automakers formed a new holding company Hyundai Kia Automotive Group. This change was beneficial for both companies.
14. In 1999, Hyundai presented its new SUV Santa Fe at the Detroit Motor Show. It was named after the city of Santa Fe in the south-eastern American state of New Mexico. This model become a best-seller.
15. Hyundai Motor owns production and assembly facilities in South Korea, Turkey, North America, China, India, Czech Republic, Russia and Brazil.
16. Hyundai Veloster is a subcompact hatchback, produced by Hyundai since 2011. The car differs from many competitors with its asymmetrical door configuration, featuring one large door on the driver side and two smaller doors on the passenger side.
17. Hyundai Motor Company is proud to be an exclusive automobile sponsor of UEFA EURO and FIFA World CUP. The sponsorship package covers all the tournaments, held by FIFA, including Woman’s World Cup, Confederations Cup, U-20 World Cup and U-17 World Cup.
18. The official slogan of the Hyundai Motor Company is “New thinking, new possibilities”.
19. While the Hyundai official logo seems to be simplistic at the first glance, there are a few versions which explain the meaning of the letter “H” on the Hyundai radiator grille. Some will say that the letter “H” is the first letter in the word Hyundai. The others however, will claim to see the two men shaking hands. It is also believed that the deformed oval, framing the letter of H, symbolizes the sustainable development of Hyundai.
20. The Korean company debuted with a compact crossover Hyundai Tucson in 2004. The model was named after the city of Tucson, Arizona, the USA. The first generation of Hyundai Tucson was produced in Canada, in 2005. Most automobile experts will agree that Hyundai Tucson is, without a doubt, one of the most popular compact crossovers in the world.